Friday 18 January 2008

Spiritually Uplifting

Amidst the gloom of mid-January, when I hate to admit it but I'm as miserable as everyone else, I need to focus on something positive. So am reviewing, in between coughing, spluttering and grumbling, some happier events.

In early January I went to see the Nutcracker at the London Colosseum - with My daughter and my Mum. There was something magical about the ballet of course and the dancing was ethereal, but being there as one of three generations added something extra. There was my daughter's glowing delight, most especially when the Jack Frosts and Ice Fairies danced out of a huge fridge, but also the glowing pride of my Mother, in the good behaviour of her granddaughter as well the enjoyment of a special evening. My husband and son went to Blood Brothers on the same evening - I think equally uplifting but in a completely different way. Much cooler for a 14 year old to tell his mates (and doting drama teachers) that he saw the more macho of the two!

The other massive highlight for me was attending midnight eucharist on Christmas Eve at St Paul's Cathedral - it seems a long time ago now. The singing was quite fabulous, but so was the use of the most accessible liturgy I have ever experienced there.

So in the gloom I will cling to those warm memories and look forward to more sublime moments ahead.

What warmed the cockles of your heart recently?

2 comments:

RubyB said...

In the last few months there have been lots of things to raise my spirit but standing out are a concert with Runrig, seeing the Sound of Music at the Palladium, celebrating Channukah with the Chief Rabbi and the funeral of a special person from my Church who had done so much with his life that I felt amazed and challenged. Those are the really spirit filled moments for me - when I am uplifted and charged up to live live in all its fulness.

Michaela said...

Thanks for leaving this message Ruby! You warm the cockles of my heart many times.