Friday 8 February 2008

Refresher course and retreat

Last week I was in the depths of the Devon countryside (well Torbay) helping lead a district refresher course on managing change and the spirituality of change. It was really helpful for me in the light of all that is changing in the Team I work in and the church in general - to have to do some serious thinking and preparation around the themes of change. It's part of life - we die without it, but we resist it and often find ourselves lost when we are not able to map the change we are involved in. Also we are 'agents' of change - what we do (whoever we are) affects other people, the planet, the whole shooting match - how conscious are we of this? How much do we consider these things before leaping into the next day/thing/adventure/disaster?

Then this week I was in the depths of the Leicestershire countryside at Launde Abbey leading some more Methodist ministers, in their annual retreat. It was lovely to have some space for myself as well as sharing in helping them focus on the places where we find refreshment in the 'wilderness' (or in our ministry/context/neighbourhood etc).

In a rapidly changing world and a church that is at times slow to notice, how do we make time to refresh ourselves and get a glimpse of the bigger picture. (I know I'm mixing metaphors - but who said there was a law against it!)

How do you make a change? Where do you find refreshment?

Thanks to all those at both these events (especially old friends!!) for helping me rekindle some optimism for the future of Methodism.
xx

4 comments:

Olive Morgan said...

For me at present, I find refreshment and inspiration at the 'Heart of the Divine' course on spirituality at Sarum College; at other times at retreat days at Douai Abbey or the Aston Tirrold retreat centre.

Rev Paul Martin said...

Hi Michaela, I missed Torbay. I wish I could say thatI was looking after the circuit as my two colleagues were there. But the real truth is less edifying - 3 days of virtual chill out!

Michaela said...

Don't worry Paul - 3 days of chilling out sounds ideal. Having the metal to keep some time clear and not give in to constant demands is a discipline and a gift. Hope I get it soon!!

PamBG said...

I'm not really answering your question, but I often find myself wondering why the church is so fearful of change. Church often seems to be used as a place to hide from change.

Cowering in the metaphorical corner (which is what I think most churches do) and 'being refreshed for the journey' are two entirely different things.

And I do wonder whether church structures stop us from breaking out of this 'prison'. (Not just speaking of Methodism, but of any 'institutional church', really)